Be part of a movement to close the achievement gap for Minnesota kids by becoming a charter school board member.
We view high-performing schools as being analogous to a four-legged stool. As identified in a Fordham Institute study, clearly you need strong leadership, quality teachers, operational and programmatic effectiveness. However, equally important, is a high-performing board that can direct resources, support and oversight to ensure sustainability.
At CharterSource, we understand the importance of having a diverse blend of skills and experience that matches the strategic direction of a school. We seek professionals who can bring their expertise, time, resources and commitment to ensure education equity for all Minnesota kids.
I have found this to be a very rewarding way to marry my professional skills with giving back. I greatly appreciated the board orientation and ongoing support from CharterSource.” New Board Member, NE Minneapolis School
I am very excited about this new mission, this new adventure! Thank YOU very much for guiding me through the process of becoming a candidate – and for your endorsement! I look forward to additional interactions into and throughout the upcoming academic year!” New Board Member, South Minneapolis School
We also provide structured development programs to help first-time board members navigate the key governance issues of charter school boards.
A 2-hour orientation for new board member candidates to learn more about board governance and the Minnesota education landscape.
- An overview of the need for education reform, the impact of poverty on educational attainment, the role of charter schools in the ed reform movement, and how charter schools are funded and held accountable
- The roles and responsibilities of charter school board members and framework for high performing boards to govern effectively
Board Basics Webinar Series
Access to CharterSource board training webinar library, your private training portal for 365 days. Learn more about charter school governance and oversight from our expanding library:
- New Board Member Basics
- Effectively Review a Charter School Budget
- Best Practices of High Performing Schools
- Employment Law for Charter Schools
- Top Pitfalls of MN Open Meeting Law
- Steps to Creating A Building Foundation
CharterSource Board Chat
Join our monthly charter school board conference call to connect for with fellow Minnesota board members. Issues on matters such as performance management, succession planning or engaging board members? Jump on anytime for a quick question or stay the entire 60 minutes and join in on the conversation.